How to fight with problems of digestive system during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, uterus becomes an abdominal organ and presses the intestines and all other abdominal organs. This can have create problems of digestive system during pregnancy. It can also cause heartburn, acidity, constipation, indigestion (bloated , loss of appetite and regurgitation,nausea and burps), etc. Although, problems of digestive system during pregnancy do not last for long time and affect body for short period.
Why do problems of digestive system during pregnancy occur?
Some hormones produced during pregnancy relaxes the muscles of our body. Similarly when muscles of stomach is comparatively relaxed, rate at which your stomach empties itself is slowed down . This causes a sense of heaviness, fullness of stomach and indigestion and other problems
of digestive system during pregnancy. Constipation can be due to result of slowing down of intestinal movements.
There are some ways which can help to reduce these problems:
- A glass of milk can help to reduce heartburn.
- There should be a gap of at least 1-2 hours between dinner and retiring to bed for sleep.
- Raising the head with pillows or raising the head end of the bed while sleeping ( propped up position ) can help to reduce heartburn.
- Avoid junk, oily and spicy foods
- Try More frequent small meals
- While eating food try to sit straight to avoid pressure on stomach
- Do regular exercises to tone your body muscles
- Drink plenty of water
- If iron tablet is causing constipation ask your doctor to change the brand. Now a days gastric friendly iron preparations are available
- Include plenty of fibre rich food items in your diet like-fruits, green leafy vegetables, whole grain cereals and multigrain atta etc.
- Eat and drink what is right for you
- Take enough rest but try to be active
- If possible try to have an after- dinner walk
- Home remedies are good but always consult your doctor