Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Prevention
These days there is a spurt in rise of number of people suffering with Hyperthyroidism. Low levels of iodine leads to Hyperthyroidism. Due to use of bottled water and stored food, adequate amount of micro-nutrients are not consumed by our body and people suffer from it. Iodine is one of the important micro-nutrients. It plays a key role in the formation of Thyroid hormones and for healthy brain development in the fetus and young child. Iodine is an essential nutritional element of our food content.
If it is not treated in due course of time , it can lead to-
- Infertility and difficulty in conception
- maternal and fetal hypothyroidism
- impaired neurological development of fetus
- Intellectual impairment
- Growth retardation
- Increased pregnancy loss
- Goiter and Cretinism etc
Sometimes this disease can be without symptoms but if people find below symptoms they should take should take medical help.
- Generalized muscular cramps
- Tiredness and sleepy feeling
- Menstrual irregularities
- Difficulty in concentration
- Abnormal weight gain
- Change in taste
- Hair fall
- Dry skin
- Slow heart beat etc
Prevention of Hyperthyroidism–
It is a famous saying that “prevention is better than cure. Below small changes changes in lifestyle can help to prevent Hyperthyroidism.
- Stop smoking- Nicotine produced by smoking doesn’t allow the body to absorb iodine from food, thus it has a direct impact on production of thyroid hormones and cause Hyperthyroidism.
- Stop consumption of bottled water- Packed water has high quantity of fluoride and perchlorate elements which triggers Hyperthyroidism.
- Consume iodine in limited quantity- Body required at least 100-150 mcg/day and during pregnancy and lactation body needs 250mcg/day iodine. Hence everyone ensure to consume iodine in their diet.
- Avoid soya products- Soya products do not allow the body to absorb iodine. If new born kids who takes high quantity of soya-based food items are are more prone to develop Hyperthyroidism.
Do not under-estimate micro-nutrients. Contact your doctor in case of any symptoms.